Thursday, September 27, 2007

Crash course in law school

Here's an overview of what its like to be in law school. The 'Big 3' courses in the 1st semester are Contracts, Torts, and CivPro. Those classes consist of just discussions of our casebooks. The discussion is led by the professor, but they use the Socratic method (only ask questions that direct the discussion). Our casebooks consist of cases that present or define the area of law we're studying. The only cases included are those that have reached the appellate level courts or higher. There are no assignments outside of reading, nor are there any midterm exams. The final is all that counts towards your grade for the semester. Finding a great job hinges on your 1st year grades. You can do great your 2nd and 3rd years, but if you didn't do great your 1st year then it won't matter that much at all. The 2 credit class is just legal researching and writing. We spend a lot of time in the library for that one but don't have a final. We do, however, have a few weighty writing assignments throughout the semester.

I'm not sure what area of law I want to go in to, but I've ruled out intellectual property (patents, copyrights, etc.). Criminal trial litigation, general counsel (eventually), and corporate/tax are the current forerunners. The entire 1st year course curriculum is assigned. Here's what it looks like:

Fall
Contracts (5 credits)
Torts (4)
Civil Procedure (4)
Legal Method & Writing pt. I (2)
Dean's Session (1)

Spring
Criminal Law (3)
Constitutional Law (3)
Property (4)
Law & the Regulatory State (3) [legislative and administrative processes of law and how they effect public policy and social order]
Legal Research & Writing pt. II (2)
Dean's Session (1)

I spend about 12-14 hours a day between class, reading, and studying.

No comments: