Monday, November 3, 2008

Why so serious?

Sorry this is coming a little late. We had a busy weekend with family. It was so much fun I haven't had time to upload these much-anticipated pictures.

I must preface this by saying that it was Landon and Layn's initial idea about 3 months ago (to those of you who are The Office watchers: we did not steal the idea from Kevin, Dwight, or Creed). I was planning on dressing Ty up as a dinosaur or something (we're not usually that big into Halloween, I'm always much more excited for the next two holidays coming!), but Layn thought would be passing up a great opportunity to take advantage of Ty's 2-year's-worth of hair.

So we were hanging out one night with our good friends Landon & Kaylene and the boys couldn't get over the fact that Ty had the perfect hair to be the joker (nappy, curly, kind of long blond hair). So after much prodding from these two boys, I finally consented. To be honest, I thought the whole idea was a little disturbing- I mean, a 2-year-old dressed up as the latest creepy villain shown in Dark Knight? But all in all I think it turned out well. So thank you Layn and Landon for your continual prodding at me to consent to this.

I tried looking all over the internet for an authentic, not-cheesy-looking costume for the joker and couldn't find one anywhere. Then I was going to go get some purple fabric and sew one, but this pregnancy has had the better of me and never ended up doing it. I think with just the makeup it was fine though. Easy enough for me. He didn't hold still for pictures (as usual) so these were the best I got!


He kept rubbing at his makeup and so by the end of the night, it was half off and smeared everywhere, but that seemed to add to the authenticity. We had fun at our ward's trunk or treat and Ty got plenty of candy. The next morning, what does Layn feed him before he even eats breakfast? A Twix bar. Yeah, I was furious (but Layn pointed out that I had a few for breakfast too so I couldn't get too mad). It's all . . . part of the plan. Good thing Halloween is only once a year.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

hahaha. This will go down in time.. just you wait.. His children will remember this Halloween forever.

haha. Love you guys

Calley said...

Best costume EVER!!!! Seriously, I am dying laughing, this is awesome! The cutest creepy boy I've ever seen :)

kaylene said...

Correction: it was my idea:) But nevertheless, I think he looks exactly like the real joker. Good Job! Can't wait to see you guys!

nicole said...

ha! he was the best joker ever...i'm glad you finally consented, he was a hit at the ward party! john and i were dying, it was so cute!

Mr. & Mrs. Smith said...

Love the makeup job! What a great idea, I think it is so cute...er, creepy :) I didn't even fix dinner for two days because my kids were so sugared up. Remember that old rule--three days of whatever and whenever and then it's mom's? Yep! We are in de-tox mode right now!

Celeste said...

Thanks for your additional commentary in the post sweetheart. Love you.

Mary-Sunshine said...

ooooo, that is creepy how good that looks!

Cheltsie Spils said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments celeste! Wow your little guy is more dark night than the dark knight himself. So cute! I like to hear your husband schemes with your son like mine does. My husband just bought the book Boys Should Be Boys to prove that sometimes Mom needs to let the boys to do their thing. It's been a good read for me! Thankfully were having a girl so we can team up against the boys sometimes!

The Heaps said...

Too cute! I am sorry that we missed the ward Halloween party and seeing everyone's cute kids! Ty is just darling!

Cortney said...

Too cute! Hey, I've called and left messages a few times, my mother-in-law wants to do family pictures the Saturday after Thanksgiving. She has been prodding me to find out your price and if you can do it before she asks someone else. If you're interested get back to me pronto!

Sarah Williams said...

funny how we use our kids for our own entertainment. i always gained a good 10 pounds when i was prego over the holidays. dr would be like...what?? you do know its supposed to be 1-2 pounds a month. whatever. enjoy it while you can.

This is me... said...

cute cute!!! i missed it :(
candy for breakfast that's the way to go on halloween!!