Kaia and Brandt

Every couple years we have a big Bentley family vacation (just my parents, the grandkids, and me and my 3 siblings & spouses) that my parents organize and pay for everyone. Two years ago we did the Lake Powell thing on a houseboat and rented a speedboat and some other stuff. We spent a whole week wakeboarding and having fun. So when this summer came around we were all wondering what we should do for a family get-together. We decided a beach house in California would be awesome. So, my mom put me in charge of finding a place and organizing some of the trip (which I was enthralled to do- I love planning stuff). I found a 6 bedroom, 6 bathroom house on the beach in Oceanside which was so beautiful, and it was so much fun. I swear the trip went by waaay too fast because we were all having such fun together. We spent the whole week lounging on the beach, going to Legoland, shopping around the pier and downtown in Oceanside, going to Torrey Pines in La Jolla for family pics and more.
The boys played plenty of smashball.
Jared & Tatum. Too cute.
We left on Saturday morning at 7 a.m. and drove all day with the kids to the house. We then unloaded and did the grocery shopping (we filled 2 huge carts at Costco!), while we were awaiting my parents' and my sister and her family's arrival at the airport. At the end of the day we were utterly exhausted from all the traveling, so we quickly went out to the beach and then hit the sack. 
Dan (my brother-in-law) and his daughter Emmy (aka Ty's BFF)
On Sunday we went to church at an Oceanside ward and then all of our family and friends that live in California came over the beach house to have a BBQ and hang out at the beach.
Monday we spent the whole day at the beach and we all got FRIED from the sun, except the kiddos (thank goodness). Needless to say I don't think we wore as much sunscreen as we needed to. We all were in a lot of pain for the following couple days. You could hear painful groans throughout the house as everyone was putting aloe on. We all paid dearly for that huge mistake.
Kelly, Emmy, & Kaia
The kids and everyone spent a lot of time digging for sand crabs. Layn didn't believe me that there were such things as sand crabs, until we caught some and showed him. His reply: "those are disgusting!" I have so many childhood memories of doing this.
Tuesday we decided we better not spend the day at the beach, so we headed to Legoland. Kaia and Brandt loved it, but if anyone wants my opinion, Disneyland is waaaay better and the same price. I overdid myself the day before (I thought it would be okay to go boogie boarding-yeah right) and so from Dr.'s orders I had to lay low the rest of the vacation. So, my sweet husband and dad rented me a wheelchair and I was pushed around Legoland the whole day in it. I received so many strange stares...
Dan, Ty, Emmy, and Papa on the train ride at Legoland
Wednesday we spent the whole day at the beach again, had a "weenie roast" and made s'mores by the pier. Unfortunately it was overcast and foggy the whole day.
The Boys playing on the beach
The "Weenie roast"
Ty downing his chocolate bar. He wasn't too interested in the s'mores, just the chocolate.
Thursday we went to Torrey Pines in La Jolla and it was beautiful. Even though it was overcast (again) we got some great pictures. I have been wanting to take our big group family shot for awhile, because the last one we had taken was when I was like 12 years old. It was a fun mini-hike down to the coastline and the hike was totally worth it. I have seen tons of pictures of picturesque Torrey Pines and I had been wanting to go there for some time. I'm so glad we went. Torrey Pines is a state park right on the cliffs in La Jolla and is breathtakingly beautiful. Anyone who hasn't gone there, go if you're ever in Southern California!The Whole Fam.
My sister Rachel, her husband Jared, and kids Kaia, Brandt, & Tatum
Kaia and Brandt

My sister Bekah, Dan, & Emmy
Rachel & Jared

Roger & Kelly
Friday was the 4th of July and people were already pitching their tents at the beach the night before. I had no idea it was going to be so crowded. It was crazy! The boys reserved a big spot early in the morning and by the time we all got there we we so glad the boys had done that. Yet again, the whole day was overcast and foggy, but we had tons of fun anyway. That night we went out to watch the fireworks and we could hear them, but couldn't see them because of all of the fog!Another pic of my adorable niece and nephew Kaia and Brandt
Bekah and Brandt
Ty was pretty good on the vacation, but still had some disciplining issues (as usual). He HATED the beach and the sand for the first 3 days which was so frustrating, but we just dropped him off in the sand and let him scream and cry it out until he finally got up and walked around and played with all the other kids (how mean are we?).
A special thank you to my wonderful parents who funded the whole vacation and who have started this wonderful tradition. I'm so glad we can be a part of it! I'm also so happy everyon in the family was able to make it. We didn't think some of our hubbys would be able to make it out there because of time-off-work issues and all, but everything fell into place perfectly.
I know, I know, this post is terribly long... Now we're off to packing and moving into our new place all week long. I'm so ready to have our own place again!
14 comments:
Well, I think you win for having the most gorgeous 4th of July celebration! How fun was your vacation! That place looks absolutely gorgeous. And YOU, my friend, also look absolutely gorgeous! I love your little family pictures you took. And I'm so excited for you to get a new place! Can't wait to see pictures. Hope you're having a fabulous "no law school" kind of summer! :)
it was so much fun, thanks for all your work to make it happen! Can't wait to do it again (hopefully).
Serisouly, what a blast! It sounds like such a good time! I love doing anything with my family! Good luck on the move and let me know if you need anything!
oh my gosh Celeste im kinda freaking out... those pictures are AMAZING!!! I LOOVE THEM!! besides how HUGE my cheeks look in all the family pictures... oh my gosh!! Please do another post with more pics from the trip! I want to see more!! Could i get some on a cd or something so i can print some out for a photo album?
you are soo amazing!!
Sounds like we did a lot of the same fun family things! Glad you guys had fun....fun pictures too! Good luck with the move, call me if you need some help!
I bet we were at Costco at the same time....I'm surprised we didn't see you!
I like layns tan in the last picture
WOW! Your pictures are gorgeous! What an amazing vacation! I really wish my family (or John's) would do something like that. There's just something about a vacation together that strengthens relationships and tightens the bonds that already exist between family members. Plus you get to create the most amazing memories that everyone will be talking about for years to come. Thank you for letting us in on your most amazing week. And seriously, beautiful pictures!
Yay! I'm so glad you had such a fun trip! You are one smokin' HOT mama! Those are amazing pictures- I love it! I'm so excited for you to move- I would love to help out with whatever I can- even if it's just to keep Ty for a day or two! Let me know. Love ya!
That looks like so much fun! I seriously wish that I Lived in Cali :) I can't imagine waking up to the beach every day. You guys are such a cute little fam. I can't believe how much Ty has grown since I've seen him last ( I think it's almost been a year??)
Oh and the photos are fabulous! You definitely have a knack for photography!!
Fantastic pictures Celeste. It makes me wish I was there!
I second the CD comment of Kelly's
I want a CD if you will be so kind and burn me one. Please your one of my favorite NIECES you know...
And i can personally come and pick it up even. See you next month. I can't wait...
love always,
Nanny
what a fun vacation! i would love to do something like that with my family, it really brings you closer, doesn't it?
ummm ya tons of pics! but so cute! love your photoshop abilities! thats totally on my list of things to do sometime...the ps class. it's good to have talented friends to live through though!
Hey I know we already left a comment, but Kyle and I were looking at the pictures again... and Layn have you been working out?
Post a Comment