
Yesterday I FINALLY took my last final to achieve my college degree from BYU. I can't even begin to explain what a huge relief this is for me. After I left the testing center I felt as if the largest burden was lifted off my shoulders. It took me 6 long years to finally get it and I am so happy I stuck with it and finished. After having a baby until now (19 months) I finished 47 credit hours. There were so many times during this very long process that I almost gave up. After I finished class after class I still felt like there was so much left to complete and I would never get done. I was discouraged to tears many nights. After so much help from my parents, my hubby, my sister Bekah, many prayers, blessings, and guidance from my patriarchal blessing I accomplished one of my life goals.
I have always had a love for learning (some subjects more than others ;)) and even though my college degree is now complete I hope that I can continue that passion throughout my life. I feel honored to have been able to attend BYU for 6 long years and it was this university and several experiences during those years that largely shaped who I am today. I had countless life changing spiritual experiences during these years and I am forever indebted to this university for these and for many lessons learned.
Last year I "walked" at the April graduation since we had to move down here the day after graduated. It was a neat experience to be able to graduate alongside my husband and brother from a remarkable university, but felt like it was a "fake" ceremony since I wasn't really graduating just yet. I vowed to myself that day that I would do everything in my power to finish. I'll be honest- it was soooooo hard! My advice to any woman who wants to get a college degree- get it BEFORE you have a baby. I was so naive in thinking it wouldn't be THAT hard. Boy was I wrong. There were so many times while I was writing a paper, completing an assignment, studying for a test, or taking quizzes where I felt like a terrible mother because I had to sort of ignore Ty at times to focus on my task at hand. Guilt plagued me during this past year and a half. It was so hard to juggle everything. Something I never wish to do again. But another reason why I wanted to finish is so that I could be that example to my children too.
So mom- you can die a happy woman now. She always said she could die a happy woman and mother if she lived to see the day(s) that each one of her children got married in the temple and received a college degree. We've all been waiting on me to join the throng and finally I have. And dad- surely this will add to your list of things you are most proud of- that each of your 4 children graduated from BYU. Most of you may know, my dad is a DIE HARD BYU fan. No sport and no university compare according to him.
Now I can focus on one of my huge passions-photography. My flash website is almost done and my studio will be set up before the end of the month (hopefully!) (my studio will strictly be used for newborn and child photoshoots). I've been wanting to start my own photography business for almost 2 years now, but kept telling myself not until after my degree was completed. Well the day has come and I am beyond ecstatic.
Thank you again to all of you who have helped me in one way or another achieve my dream. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
13 comments:
CELESTE that is so awesome. Congratulations, you are amazing.
Celeste, you're awesome!!! Congratulations! That is seriously a huge accomplishment! I can't imagine getting a degree with a family to raise at the same time. You are an inspiration lady!
Yeah! So proud of you little sis, but really, it almost took you as long as it did me, thanks, it makes me feel a little better :)
Big big big Congrats.
Know you are loved especially
by me. I am very proud of you.
Always, Nanny
Yeah it did Bekah. BUT, I had a child during the middle AND I took a semester off. So I have some excuses. Haha. Just kidding.
Congratulations Celeste!! There is no way I could have finished college with a child. What an accomplishment! I am excited to see more of your photographs...
Congratulations! What a relief for you! Good luck with the business!
Oh Celeste, I am so happy for you! You did it!!! I never doubted you, but doesn't it just feel amazing to finally have that out of the way?! You are a huge inspiration to me, and to many others, I'm sure.
I'm so happy that you finally get to focus more on your photography and setting up your studio. It will be amazing!
Thank you so much for the little Birthday gift. Ruby loved it, and wanted to put it on immediately. I feel so blessed to have you for a friend. We need to get together soon. I miss you.
way to go girl!! That is so awesome!! I also never realized how hard it would be to be a wife,mother, and student. I was in for a RUDE awakening! Thank goodness we made it through though. You have a lot to be proud of!
Yay! You are amazing! I am so excited for you to start a new chapter of your life! And I am so excited that I get to be a part of it now! I love it! You are going to do so great and have so much fun doing photography- I can't wait! We had so much fun today- Luv you!
Congrats! Wow. If only I could do the same. I really really wish I could say that I have done the same. Too bad your parents have to die knowing only 3 of their in-law children graduated with a Bach. Degree. Haha.. jk
Celeste, im seriously SOO happy for you!!
wait what did you graduate in?? you never said. i'm going to finish too- i'll get to say it took me like 15 years b/c i take a class a year. i don't want to regret time w/ my kids (i neglect the enough already) for full time status. i'll get there. good job!
Celeste---that is SO admirable!!! The women who have a kid AND go to school at the same time are SUPERWOMEN in my eyes---I never would've been able to do it!
Post a Comment