Sunday, February 24, 2008

26 on the 26th...


Well, as some of you know Layn's birthday and my birthday are really close together, making it really nice because we celebrate them together in one big day. This year we celebrated our birthdays on Saturday the 23rd. We had a blast. In the morning I went shopping at Chandler Mall with my mom and sisters while the boys all went golfing and studied. We then met up for lunch with everyone at Cheesecake Factory for a birthday celebration as a big family. After that Layn & I went to the movies and saw a new movie called Vantage Point. Then, that evening Layn & I went out together to the Melting Pot (one of my favorite restaurants!). It was so wonderful for just the two of us to get out together and spend some time together. Thank you to my hubby for making my birthday wonderful!

In honor of Layn's birthday on Tuesday, I thought I would post 26 interesting things you may or may not have known about my thoughtful, wonderful, fun, & AWESOME husband. So here goes...

1. He is a sports fanatic (mainly pro & college basketball & football)
2. Basketball is his passion. He loves to play, watch, or study the statistics of it all. He knows where every player played college ball, how tall they are & how much they weigh, how old they are, when they were drafted, and so on. He's so funny. He also has over 20 pair of basketball shorts (not kidding). Oh, and the Utah Jazz are hands down his favorite team and gets really mad when anyone talks smack.
3. He has really skinny legs, & has his whole life.
4. He is totally OCD with some things (we won’t go into detail), and it cracks me up every time.
5. He is super organized, I would dare to say more organized than anyone I’ve ever known.
6. He uses a nose hair trimmer & is always worried about his nose hairs being too long.
7. He has amazing talent in writing & speaking (most people don’t know this), & is a hard core critic of other people’s grammar and speech. He also edits most of my blog posts to make sure my grammar is A quality (yes, he definitely makes me feel dumb sometimes. I love you sweetheart)
8. He lights up like I’ve never seen before when he’s with Ty.
9. He loves to serve others anonymously.
10. Many people think he is quiet, reserved, and shy. He probably comes off that way to most people, but he definitely has a feisty side to him.
11. He has an obsession over Microsoft Excel (on his computer he has an excel file for each NBA basketball team with every statistic imaginable, a chart for his BMI and which NBA player it most closely resembles, an excel file for his progress in law school, an excel file for keeping track of every expenditure, and the list goes on, he’s crazy!)
12. He can be a total tightwad, but I guess it balances me out! Although he does have good taste when it comes to certain things.
13. He is the unhealthiest eater in the world. All he ever wants to eat is junk food and fast food (yet he still doesn’t gain any weight, geez!), good thing he has me around to force fruit & veggies down his throat!
14. One of his dreams is to get floor seats to a Utah Jazz game before he dies.
15. He is completely honest (which sometimes can hurt my feelings when I slave over a gourmet meal all day that I think is absolutely delicious, only to hear him say ‘it’s okay’). He's never so blunt that it's rude, I don't want to make him sound like that!
16. He loves sports logos and designing them.
17. He was 2nd place in state in a grocery bagging competition when he was 16 years old (I am laughing about this right now, who knew you could go to state for grocery bagging?!).
18. He loves to golf! He could go every weekend or even every day if he could! My dad takes him usually at least once a month, thanks Dad! His Christmas present this past year was a complete set of clubs. He is so possessive over them.
19. Bad drivers make him really, really frustrated on the road.
20. He has such an amazing knowledge and testimony of the gospel
21. He is so afraid of balding (isn’t every guy?). Well, you see, he has two brothers one older and one younger and both of them are bald, but somehow he got lucky with the genes!
22. No matter how hard I try I can’t get him to wear certain things.
23. He can be extremely competitive.
24. He loves playing a game called Hi, Lo, Jack, & Game (a 4 person card game) and rarely beats me. He also claims he’s never beat me at the game Cranium. To that my reply is “how quickly you forget.”
25. He absolutely hates chick flicks. And I’m sure watching action movies are a chore for him because I really do ask questions every couple minutes (Celeste: ‘wait, I don’t get it, what’s going on?’ Layn: shaking his head & laughing, ‘have you even been watching the movie? You need to pay attention & watch the movie, I’m not answering any more questions.’ He usually ends up answering my questions out of sympathy though.)
26. And most of all, he is the most wonderful husband and father I could have ever dreamed of. He really is my dream come true. I love you sweetheart and Happy Birthday!


8 comments:

nicole said...

I can't believe you turned 24 on the 24th, and he turns 26 on the 26th. What are the chances of that happening? That's funny though because my birthday and John's are just two days apart, too.
That was a great list, Celeste!
I knew Layn loved B-ball, but I had no idea how much!
I love the grocery bagging comment. Totally made me laugh.
I'm a little nervous to talk to him now that I know how he picks apart people's grammer...because mine is pretty bad, and I don't know any of the rules.
Lets see, what else did I want to say...?
Oh yeah, I totally get confused in movies, too. Seems like I never get what's going on...so anyway, Celeste, you're not alone on that one.

Happy Birthday, Layn!

Celeste said...

I can't believe you posted a pair of pictures of me in which I'm wearing the same pair of basketball shorts. How embarassing!

Thank you sweetheart. I love you!

danberg said...

I can't believe you think Layn is a skinny guy, weren't all these pictures taken during his professional body building career? He looks so tan and muscular in them all. My other comments are by number:
#4 - a few things? try most things ;)
#11 - lets just say his excel file of his law school schedule pops up at the touch of one button on his laptop -- i didn't know you could even do that and I like excel!
#19 - I know we are all wondering, if bad drivers annoy him so much how did he ever grow up in Utah? Maybe that's why he failed his driving test twice!
#22 - stay strong layn, only a few guys look good and can pull off pink tutu's and tangerine speedos!!

Happy Birthday!

Love, Bekah Dan Emmy

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Layn! I'm glad you got to get out on the town and have fun!

Kelly said...

hahahahahaha... im laughing so hard right now... grocery bagging contest?? hahahaha did you make and excel spread sheet on how to win?

diana said...

it was fun to read a little bit more about your husband since i don't know him very well. i'm totally impressed with his excel spreadsheets and how organized he seems. i love that he proofreads your blog... i, too, am an obsessive grammar/spelling freak. he and i would get along well in that area. oh, and how funny is his obsession over nose hairs and going bald? my husband cares about his nose hairs, but fortunately has learned to accept his ultimate fate... haha!

Trish said...

Happy Birthday Layn!! Miss you all and hope it was a great birthday for you both!! I turn 25 on the 25th this year only happens once!! XOXO

Trish

Critchfield fam said...

That was fun to read; what a great husband, maybe I'll do one gor Jared's next b-day!